Winter Things to Do
Winter is a quiet time at the farm. Relaxing with a good book in front of the woodstove is always an option. When we have snow, you can snowshoe or hike on the farm and in the surrounding wildlife lands. Nearby there are groomed and ungroomed ski trails.
- The Sugar River State Trail is only 1/4 mile away, where you can ski on over 40 miles of ungroomed trails. These bike trails are also used by snowmobilers, however, so it's best to go early in the day, before they are active.
- The Ice Age Trail is 15 minutes drive and an excellent place for skiing or snowshoeing on ungroomed trails, especially in the lovely Brooklyn Wildlife Area.
- Magnolia Bluff is 10 minutes drive and has 4 miles of ungroomed ski trails.
- Blue Mounds State Park has excellent trails and superb grooming 45 minutes away. Most of the trails are classic only, but there are several km of skate trails.
- Rockport Park in Janesville is 40 minutes drive and has nice, scenic trails.
- Madison has many miles of groomed trails, about 40 minutes away. For trail maps and updated trail conditions, check SkinnySki or Madnorski. Elver Park has good skating and night skiing.